March Update – Please Read
Dear Troop 219 Families,
Here is this month’s Troop Update.
Scout Update: March 2, 2015
- March 1: Annual troop fees of $75 were due March 1. Many of you earned enough money at the Christmas tree lot to cover the cost. Please let Mr. O’Neill know if you would like to credit this money toward your annual fee. If not, please make your check payable to BSA Troop 219.
- March 4: There will be no regular meeting at St. Raphael’s. Instead, most of the troop is going to St. Petersburg College for an Astronomy demonstration. This activity is full – no late registration.
- March 7-8: Lake Kissimmee State Park Campout/Astronomy Merit Badge. Mr. Cruise has sent out numerous e-mails regarding this campout. We are leaving Saturday to avoid the horrendous Tampa rush hour traffic Friday evening.
- March 13-15: Order of the Arrow Spring Fellowship, Sand Hill Scout Reservation, Brooksville. For information, go to www.timuquanlodge.com.
- Troop Hoodies: Anybody interested in buying a hooded sweatshirt with the Troop 219 logo on the back, e-mail Mr. Tomalin by Friday, Feb. 6. Cost: $25. Please include your size.
- Boards of Review: Scouts will soon be able to schedule a board of review on the troop website. Our webmaster, Mr. Dano, will announce the procedure in coming weeks. Parents unfamiliar with the BOR or Scoutmaster Conference processes can contact Mr. Tomalin for more information. You can also go to www.Scouting.org and click on advancement.
- Troop 219 has at least a dozen Life Scouts with fundraisers and work days in coming months. Please check the troop calendar for updates.
- Lifesaving Merit Badge: Rob Hudson of Troop 367 is trying to put together a lifesaving merit badge on 3/28/15 or 4/11/15. If you are interested, call Mr. Hudson at 501-3006 or e-mail him at email@example.com.
- Merit Badge College: On April 25, the Skyway District is hosting Merit Badge College. Sign-up sheets are not yet available, but you can keep an eye on the district calendar on the council website at www.wcfcbsa.org. Mrs. Carlisle will be teaching Public Health in the morning and again in the afternoon. Mr. Tomalin will be teaching American Heritage (prerequisites 3C and 5) in the morning and Genealogy (prerequisites 3 and 4B) in the afternoon. Mr. O’Neill will be teaching Golf (prerequisites 8 & bring your clubs) in the morning and Chess (prerequisite 6) in the afternoon. The following Eagle required badges, including Citizenship in the Nation, Communications, Personal Fitness and Sustainability, will also be offered.
As we continue our efforts to be a “unit of distinction,” Troop 219 hopes to have all our adult leaders trained by March 1, 2016. Assistant scoutmasters who have not done so must take Scoutmaster-Assistant Scoutmaster Position-Specific training and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills. Troop Committee Members must take the 20-minute, online “Troop Committee Challenge.”Troop 219 is NOT listed as a quality unit because of our poor training record. Our goal is to have 100 percent of our adult leadership trained. Currently, we have 20 percent. Please note, all adult leaders must all have the BSA Youth Protection Training and go through the Catholic Church’s Safe Environment Program.
- April 17-19: Camping Trip to Little Manatee River State Park. Located a short, 45-minute drive across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, this campout may include a paddle down the Little Manatee River.
- April 25: Merit Badge University: Mrs. Carlisle will be teaching Public Health in the morning and again in the afternoon. Mr. Tomalin will be teaching American Heritage (prerequisites 3C and 5) in the morning and Genealogy (prerequisites 3 and 4B) in the afternoon. Mr. O’Neill will be teaching Golf (prerequisites 8 & bring your clubs) in the morning and Chess (prerequisite 6) in the afternoon. The following Eagle required badges, including Citizenship in the Nation, Communication, Personal Fitness and Sustainability, will also be offered.
- July 10-12 and July 17-19: National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) at Sand Hill Scout Reservation. If you are 13-years-old, finished with 8th grade and are a first-class scout, then you need to sign up for this outstanding leadership course taught by several of Troop 219’s senior scouts and Scoutmaster Emeritus Michael McBride. Cost is $185 which will be reimbursed by Troop 219 if you successfully complete the course. For information, contact Mr. McBride at 539-9145 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Question? Find your answer at on our new and improved troop website, www.bsa219.com. If you don’t find your answer there, go to the West Central Florida Council website at www.wcfcbsa.org. If you cannot find what you are looking for there, go to the Boys Scouts of America National website at www.scouting.org. If that is no help, contact Mr. Tomalin at email@example.com, who will probably refer you to one of the three previously-mentioned websites.
Yours in Scouting,Scoutmaster Terry Tomalin
W: 893-8808, C: 709-3551
W: 893-8808, C: 709-3551